- Often scales. a balance or any of various other instruments or device for weighing
- Also called scalepan. either of the pans or dishes of a balance.
- Scales, Astronomy, Astrology. the constellation or sign of Libra; Balance.
- to weigh in or as if in scales.
- to have a weight of.
- tip the scales,
- to weigh:He tips the scales at 190 lbs.
- to turn the trend of favor, control, etc.:The present crisis should tip the scales for our candidate.
- turn the scales, to decide in favor of one side or faction; determine the outcome:It would take a miracle to turn the scales for us now.
Origin of Scale
1175–1225; Middle English < Old Norse skālar (plural), cognate with Old English scealu (of a balance)
No products were found matching your selection.